Here is your chance to pursue your doctoral degree in Norway! The Department of Arctic and Marine Biology at UiT, the Arctic University of Norway and the research group on Ecosystem Processes at the Institute of Marine Research (known as IMR) is now accepting application from challenged and interested candidates for a PhD position for the duration of 3 year of study. The principal area for this position is to explore the plausible future dynamics of the Barents Sea ecosystem under fishing and climate pressure. If this is where your passion lies, apply for this IMR PhD fellowship for International students at Arctic University of Norway right now!
Just an FYI, IMR is the biggest research institute of its kind in the entire Europe. It has over 1.000 employees as well as a wide range of laboratories and research facilities of the high international standard. Its main activities are advisory work, research and monitoring. The institute has as well as operates up to 6 research vessels. The fellowship is offered for international students of all nationalities. This study subject for this fellowship is in dynamic modelling of food webs in the Barents Sea with the principal area of research for this PhD position to discover the possible future dynamics of the Barents Sea ecosystem under fishing and climate pressure. This IMR PhD fellowship for International students at Arctic University of Norway can be taken in Norway.
The details of the scholarship award are as follows:
- Flexible working hours as well as a wide range of welfare services
- A challenging, creative and positive work environment
- The chance to work in a national institute with a high level of international contact
This fellowship offers candidates a governmentally regulated salary as 1017 PhD fellow as well as a pension scheme through the Norwegian Public Service Pension Funds. There will be other benefits included as well which you can see here for more detailed info.
- Must hold a master degree as well as must document a solid background in time series analysis, applied statistics and experience in programming in R or Matlab.
- Must understand the following topics: linear algebra, trophic and community ecology, causal modelling, climate-fisheries interactions, model sensitivity analysis, pattern-oriented modelling, multivariate modelling, as well as coupled physical-biological modelling.
- Must have good skills in Norwegian or other Scandinavian languages or be willing to learn the Norwegian language in a reasonable time.
- Must have a fluent command of English (verbal and written). You can visit the page here to find out more about how to meet the language requirements.
The mode for the application for the IMR PhD fellowship for International students at Arctic University of Norway is online and you can apply here. Please submit your application no later than May 31, 2018 accompanied with documents (all have to be certified and translated into English or Scandinavian when applicable) you have to upload in Jobbnorge such as:
- Application letter
- Diploma and transcript from both your bachelor’s degree and master’s degree or their equivalents
- CV that contains a complete overview of education, professional work as well as supervised professional training.
- Diploma supplement for completed degrees
- Reference letter as well as contact information
- Documentation of English language proficiency
- A complete list of works that contain the information such as:
- Author(s) and the work’s title
- For publications: publisher, year of publication, printer and number of pages
- For articles: name and volume of the journal, the first and its last page of the article and year of publication
Furthermore, admission to a PhD program is a requirement for placement in a PhD position according to section 6 of the Regulations for the degree of PhD at the UiT, The Arctic University of Norway. The plan for the PhD program has to be approved with the contract being signed no later than 6 weeks, after the starting date. Then, the appointed candidate will have up to two months period to submit a draft of their project description or reworked project description as well as a proposal of courses for the instruction element. If the contract is not completed before the stipulated deadline, the contract is annulled as mentioned in section 1-3(8) of the Regulations relating to conditions of employment for positions of Postdoctoral Fellows, PhD Candidate, and Research Assistant.
Visit the scholarship link for more information.